Residents oppose Calamvale development
A plan to build 85 multi-unit dwellings at Calamvale with only one access point from a narrow suburban street has outraged local residents.
They have called on Brisbane City Council to reject the development application by Heran Building Group.
Road safety will be put at risk by the development, community representative Ann Roffey told Brisbane City Council’s meeting on Tuesday.
With access denied to Beaudesert Road, the expected 300-plus tenants will have to use one entrance and exit onto Eduard Place.
“These streets are narrow, only 5 metres wide in places and 3 metres at traffic islands, and cannot cope with passing traffic and parked vehicles at the same time,” she said.
“Increased traffic from the development would hugely increase risks to the safety, well-being and lifestyle of local residents.”
Ms Roffey said many of the 3800 students attending three schools in the area would be put at risk because of extra traffic.
She also said emergency vehicles may have trouble accessing the new development if the streets are congested.
Ms Roffey said with 445 townhouses in a 2km radius plus 347 approved or under construction and a further 172 seeking approval, the Calamvale community believes the infrastructure is already struggling to cope.
More than 650 signatures and 100 individual objections had been made opposing this development, Ms Roffey said.
Local resident Mogan Naidoo hopes the council will be more pro-active about residential planning as this development did not meet the community’s expectations.
Neither the chair of the Council’s Neighbourhood Planning and Development Assessment Committee, Cr Amanda Cooper, nor the developer, Heran Building Group, replied to Newsbytes‘ invitation for comment on Ms Roffey’s submission.